If I had to pin a definition on Gone Home, I'd call it more of an experience than a game, and probably the closest game of its kind I could compare it to would be something along the lines of Myst. There are no jump scares, zombies, or physical horrors to run from. Instead, you're drawn into a fully realized and believable world of a family and their lives as you explore their empty house.
It's difficult to write about Gone Home in-depth without saying more than I should; I certainly don't want to ruin the experience for others, and you should go into it as blindly as possible. I will say that it reveals a touching and complicated coming of age story set in the mid-90s, and as a man born in 1980, the atmosphere of re-creating 1994 was amazing, from the items in the house, to the music, to the references. None of it felt ham-handed or shoehorned - it all just "fit." This isn't a game meant to be played by kids. There isn't anything graphic, but rather it's a game that would be difficult for someone to appreciate completely if they haven't gone through the slings and arrows of being a teenager.
I'm very delighted to see Gone Home getting universal praise from professional reviewers, and I hope more developers will take a chance on original game development. Gone Home is currently on Steam for $19.99, and you should buy it.

No comments:
Post a Comment